mountain biking tuaran
A taste of rural local life
Located about 33km from Kota Kinabalu is the market town of Tuaran, the name of which is likely derived from the Malay word for sale, “tawaran” – the name is a reflection of the town’s history as a colonial trading post. Tuaran is home to the Dusun tribe who inhabit the hills and coastal plains, and live off the bounty of the land – they farm rice, plant orchards, tap rubber trees, fish in the rivers and hunt in the forests.
“experience Dusun culture and explore the countryside on two wheels”
A unique way to explore this Dusun heartland and way of life is on a mountain bike, and the approximately 26km trip will take you through small riverside villages, plantations and even over an old-fashioned hanging bridge. As this ride is off the usual tourist trail, you will be able to take in everything at a peaceful, leisurely pace, but don’t expect much in the way of facilities along the way. The cycling tour concludes on the coastal plains, where you will be treated to a traditional lunch at the Linangkit Cultural Village.
- Return transfer from your hotel to the starting point for the journey
- Mountain biking guide
- Good quality mountain bike with disc brakes
- Meals and bites: bottled water, isotonic drinks, snacks, lunch
- Comprehensive first aid kit
What’s not included?
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Trainers, sunglasses, sunblock, a change of clothes